- Date: 13th of May to 15th of May 2011
- Place: FH Hagenberg
- Guests: 66
- Mentors: 9
- Experts: 4
- Idea pitches: 12
- Venture teams: 8
- End presentations: 7
- Nationalities: 3
The first Startup Live Hagenberg!
This was bloody great! Often we see people planning and thinking stuff through, trying to figure out in minute detail what they could/should/would do and pla pla pla… This time around, we mainly had demos of stuff which was built in a weekend! This is what we LOVE!
The setting at the FH Hagenberg was great. A hint to TU Vienna: they have soft chairs. ;) This place exists since a couple of years back, thanks to Bruno Buchberger who also gave a talk on Friday evening. This I know for a fact: it’s the only place which is actively looked at by M$ USA. That’s pretty cool, and the place communicates it. Nice.
Another great guy we met was Gerald Reisinger, the CEO of the universities of applied science in Upper Austria. What he and Bruno have built in this region is pretty epic, and in both situations it’s a work of passion. Respect.
It was a busy weekend. On Friday evening 11 pitchers took the stage, resulting in 8 groups. Most of them slapped their laptops open asap and started working. Just the way we like it.
Saturday. Mentors arrived. One team folded. This was really sad because I saw the potential in it. Would have been a hell of a lot of work, but it always is to get something big off the ground.
In the evening one of our buds from last years infamous 2-day-appearance at the European Forum Alpabch joined us. The one and only Daniel Mattes. Core points were also mentioned in the summary by Elisabeth in her article in OÖ Nachrichten. Summarized, these would be the bulletpoints:
- Product first
- Chasing money is a waste of time until you have proof
- And even then, don’t waste too much of your time doing so. Build your stuff
- Focus on big ones
- Make mistakes
- Learn from mistakes
- Persistence is what makes successful companies
- And some other items which would be bad for us to print ;)
In our usual manner the interview also got personal. How did his wife react, when he said “Honey! I’m gonna do another one!”? Actually, she seemed to be ok with it… Respect. I think my girl would kick me out. Ofcourse, I didn’t exit JaJah for $200M. ;)
We were thoroughly impressed by the productivity of the teams, pulling out prototypes and platforms left and right. Damn. Vienna has a ton to learn from these guys! From now on, maybe we should punish anyone who only has a presentation ;) If you don’t bring a tech demo, I’ll puncture your left lung.
The winner was selected by the experts panel consisting of investors, tech geeks, CEOs and startup coaches. The winning team, which was really impressive, got tix for the STARTUP WEEK 2011, taking place in Vienna in October! The whole team will be able to participate in the conference! Also a couple of subscriptions to OÖ Nachrichten werde handed out!
During the weekend, mentors and experts came by and supported the teams – founders, serial entrepreneurs, experts in marketing, biz modeling, public funding and grants, sales and law. We changed the recipe and decided which teams should speak to whom. This we cannot always do, but since we had a pretty good insight in what the teams were doing and what their needs could be… The results were many small sessions with several mentors and deep discussions with a few. The input was implemented during the last 24 hours of the event.
Among the mentors:
- Christian H. Leeb – Business Angel, Business Modelling
- Christof Strasser – Lawyer
- Alfred Luger – Entrepreneur
- Lukas Bürger – Entrepreneur, Design
- Lukas Fittl – Entrepreneur, Lean Startup Strategy
- The Efficient Cloud
- Lean Canvas
- Christian Tuscher – Lawyer
- Gerold Weisz – Startup Consultant
- Transfer Center
- Matthias König – Influencer Marketing, Sales
- Gartner Inc.
- Roman Mittermayer – Marketing, Product Planning
- Founder of Twenty People
- Former prod planner @ Microsoft
- Join us as a mentor?
The guys that decide on which team wins the weekend is always a mix of different disciplines.
On the experts panel of STARTup Live Hagenberg #1 were
CEO @ i5invest
CEO @ Diagnosia, Editor @ TechCrunch EU
Head of Transfer Center, Upper Austria University of Applied Sciences
Companies and Ideas
The teams were reaaaaaaaally impressive this time around. The fact that most of them demoed their products and stuff on Sunday sets the bar high for the Vienna event! This was the result of the weekend.
- Name: (un)friendly reminder
- Peeps: Jürgen Furian
- Tagline: Get your stuff back
- Description:The most awesome team sprung from the urgent need of getting stuff back. The iOS app was developed and demoed on Sunday evening! You log what you lend to people, add the name from the address book and he will be reminded by SMS. Plan is to add automagic call reminders with Darth Vader voices.
Lukas got a live SMS reminding him to write about the app in TechCrunch. Made an impression.
The team will be with us in Vienna for STARTUP WEEK 2011!
- Name: Gern Geschehen
- Team:Nives Haag
- Tagline: Simply ask your buds
- Description:People help each other, but how can one find the best peeps to help you? Simple. Ask using GernGeschehen.at. It will post your stuff in your facebook-stream and your buddies who pull through for you will get points from you! Hoping to partner with helpful organizations, and make the points useful.
The facebook page grew to 150 peeps in a day, and their experimental requests for help got positive replies!
- Name: Bioddicted
- Team:Christian Atz
- Tagline: Unfuck the world
- Description:Saving the world. But with a wink in the eye. By using bioddicted you can simply shop like normal and 70% will go to eco-projects. Can’t say much more, but the presentation was great. I spoke to the pitcher, Christian, the day after and the feedback from the experts panel really fired him up to show the bastards ;)
The concept and humor of the project is awesome. Also, the measurability and gamification makes it different.
- Team:Julian Sametinger
- Tagline: The intelligent application helper
- Description:A tool for consultants and people looking for jobs in the biz. By offering a tool which has cases, questions, subjects and all, offering a tutoring tool and help in the The team prototyped an iPhone app over the weekend.
The app will be put in the AppStore, and upgrades will be offered.
- Name: ctact.me
- Team:Stephan Hamberger
- Description:By using QR-codes and aggregating all ways of connecting with the guy, be it linkedin, xing, twitter, facebook, … – this team aims to change how you handle your biz cards and connections.
With a great focus on tech and design, the thing looks great! Will soon be launching their iPhone and web app!
Awesome design, awesome.
- Name: Odocu.com
- Team:Robert Kron
- Description:A promotion platform focused on small to medium businesses. By allowing their customers to create their own promotions and integrate a countdown+counter thing on their own webpage – in one line of code – they already have 10 customers.
During the weekend, these guys slammed their keyboards and produced an Android app which shows you the next promo, allows you to buy it and download the promo code. Quite bloody impressive for a weekend!
- Name: Launchboard.me
- Team:Thomas Ilk and two guys coding out of Vienna
- Tagline: No fuzz web app launcher
- Description:Put their fingers to the work and kicked out a prototype in a weekend. LOVE IT!
Here’s directly from their launchpage:
We are sick of it!
Seriously, isn’t it annoying to you, always having to check through tabs and bookmarks and what not to find your way to all the online services and web-apps you are using? And having to remember them all by heart if you are on another computer but yours? It certainly is to us, that’s why we have come up with a solution for that problem.
A blend of apple devices’ springboard and the google default page most people use, Launchboard.me allows you to easily access all the online services and web-apps you use, at any time from any computer or device. All you have to remember is your very own Launchboard.me domain. Launching soon!
Thanks to our partners
Thanks to our crew, Timo, Thomas and Daniel who put their souls into the weekend! Thanks to all out partners who made this possible. Without you, this would never have happened.